sdclogo

 

 

Council

 

OPEN MINUTES

 

 

 

Minutes of a meeting of Council held in the Council Chambers, 15 Forth Street, Invercargill on Thursday, 7 April 2016 at 9am.

 

present

 

Mayor

Mayor Gary Tong

 

Deputy Mayor

Paul Duffy

 

Councillors

Lyall Bailey

 

 

Stuart Baird

 

 

Brian Dillon

 

 

Rodney Dobson

 

 

John Douglas

 

 

Bruce Ford

 

 

George Harpur

 

 

Julie Keast

 

 

Ebel Kremer

 

 

Gavin Macpherson

 

 

Neil Paterson

 

 

IN ATTENDANCE

 

Chief Executive - Steve Ruru, Group Manager Customer Services – Trudie Hurst, Chief Financial Officer – Anne Robson, Group Manager Community and Futures – Rex Capil

Communications Manager – Louise Pagan, Planning and Reporting Analyst – Shannon Oliver, Corporate Planning and Performance Advisor - Katherine McDonald, Manager Strategy and Policy - Susan Cuthbert, Strategic Manager Transport - Joe Bourque and Committee Advisor – Fiona Dunlop

 

 

 

 


Council

07 April 2016

sdclogo

 

1          Apologies

 

There were no apologies.

 

2          Leave of absence

 

There were no requests for leave of absence.

 

3          Conflict of Interest

 

There were no conflicts of interest declared.

 

4          Public Forum

 

There was no public forum.

 

5          Extraordinary/Urgent Items

 

There were no Extraordinary/Urgent items.

 

6          Confirmation of Council Minutes

 

There are no minutes to confirm at this meeting.

 

Reports - Policy and Strategy

 

 

7.1

Schedule of Oral Submitters for Draft Annual Plan 2016/2017

Record No:         R/16/3/4063

 

Stevie-Rae Blair representing Te Ao Marama (submission 98) addressed the meeting in support of their submission on the Catlins Road, Regional Heritage rate and Support to projects.

 

She advised that Te Ao Marama supports option 1 of the sealing of the Catlins Road from Haldane to Curio Bay including Slope Point Road to the first carpark and the road leading to Waipapa lighthouse.

 

Te Ao Marama also supports option 1 for the funding of the Regional Heritage rate.

 

She also advised that the Te Ao Marama supports other updates and on-goings in the Southland community and will continue to support updated sewerage systems for rural Southland towns.

 

(During the submission from Ms Blair, Councillor Duffy left the meeting at 9.06am and returned at 9.07am.)

 

Leanne Liggett representing the Southern District Health Board (submission number 158) addressed the meeting in support of their submission on the Catlins Road and other projects.

 

Ms Liggett advised that the Southern District Health Board is supportive of the Council’s initiatives and work that Southland District Council is proposing in the draft 2016/2017 Annual Plan.

 

The District Health Board will continue to recommend that a maintenance plan is developed which outlines how the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail will be funded and associated responsibilities.

 

They are also supportive of the original proposal for Te Anau Wastewater Discharge Project and would welcome the opportunity to submit on any alternative proposals.

 

The District Health Board is also supportive of repairs and maintenance to infrastructure of the Te Anau Basin water supply, Woodlands Walking track and the Winton water mains replacement.

 

Ms Liggett also advised that the District Health Board is continuing to support community water fluoridation.  It is an important public health measure in the maintenance of oral health and the prevention of tooth decay and also recommends that this is provided to the communities of Te Anau, Lumsden, Winton, Riverton and Edendale/Wyndham.

 

The District Health Board believe that further discussion is required for communities with unreticulated sewerage systems such as Waikaka.  Furthermore if reticulated systems aren’t a viable option that as a minimum engagement with property owners and occupiers would be required on how to used and maintain their wastewater disposal systems.  Another option could be to include funding for a user-pays service to clean septic tanks on a regular basis.

 

The District Health Board are also supportive of the ongoing work Council is doing in relation to the non-complying sewage plants in Tuatapere and Edendale/Wyndham.

 

(The meeting adjourned at 9.16am and reconvened at 9.24am.  All members of Council were present when the meeting reconvened.)

 

Tanith Robb, Doug Fraser and Allan Baird representing Federated Farmers (submission number 114) addressed the meeting in support of their submission on the UTR, Catlins road, Roading rate model, Rates, Fees & Charges, Cycle Trail.

 

They advised the meeting that is was surprising to find that the 2016/2017 Annual Plan was business as usual.  They believe that far from it when it is difficult times for dairy farmers and that the cloth should be cut to fit.   There needs to be a prioritisation of real needs, not nice to haves.

 

Federated Farmers have no view on the sealing of the Catlins Road including the Slope Point Road to the first carpark and the road leading to the first carpark leading to the Waipapa Point lighthouse.  However Federated Farmers are supportive of Council seeking 54% of the funding required from the New Zealand Transport Authority.   They believe that if New Zealand Transport Authority don’t provide the money, then the project should not proceed.

 

Federated Farmers would like Council to urgently address the inequity of the roading rate model by ensuring a more equitable increase in rates increases between ratepayer groups and obtain tonnage data for the commercial and industrial sectors and reallocate the roading costs each year as the data is collected.  Should updated tonnages not be able to be incorporated until next year, they recommend that Council addresses the inequity by distributing the heavy vehicle differential across primary, commercial and industrial sectors through a targeted rate.  They would also like Council to increase the UTR portion of the roading network to 20% to recognise that all ratepayers benefit from the roading network.

 

Federated Farmers would also like Council to introduce a new differential category that targets accommodation and tourist business to recover costs associated with the impact of tourism on the roading network.

 

Federated Farmers opposed the forecast rates increase for farmers and ask that Council review its proposed expenditure and cuts non-essential spending to increase rates affordability for the ratepayers.

 

Federated Farmers recognised that rural ratepayers are paying significantly more than urban residents and asks that the use of capital value-based rates are kept to a minimum.  They also ask that Council respect the promise made in the 2014/2015 Annual Plan that rates funding would be a last resort for the cycle trail and that if additional funding is required through rates then this should be a targeted rate on commercial businesses along the cycle trail.

 

Alistair Wilson representing Southland Farm Forestry Association (submission number 225) addressed the meeting in support of the submission on the Roading rate model.

 

Mr Wilson advised that the Association had no opinion on the sealing of the Catlins Road or the Regional Heritage rate.

 

He also commented that the Association is pleased that Council is to consult with stakeholders on roading issues and believe that engagement with them is a worthwhile way to leverage value from resources to protect assets.

 

Mr Wilson advised that the Association would like to see Council capture all tonnage moving on the roads with the introduction of a new roading rate model.  They believe that baleage is probably the biggest tonnage not allocated to the dairy and pastoral sectors.  Palm Kernel Expeller should also be included.

 

Mr Wilson also advised that data for Palm Kernel Expeller is available in national freight demands study and Statistic New Zealand data.

 

(The meeting adjourned for morning tea at 10.05am and reconvened at 10.32am.)  All members of Council were present when the meeting reconvened.)

 

Kevin Millard (submission number 19) addressed the meeting in support of his submission on the Catlins Road and Regional Heritage rate.

 

He advised that he was supporting option 3 to not seal any of the roads.  He asked if the road is going to be sealed at Haldane because he is a volunteer firefighter at Tokanui and attends accidents in that area.   Officers advised that the tidal section of the road is to be included in the sealing.

 

Mr Millard also advised that Catlins Road has lowered the number of tourists coming through Tokanui.

 

 

 

Joan Scarlett (submission number 46) addressed the meeting in support of her submission on the Beech Trees at Ivy Russell Reserve in Winton.

 

She advised that they shield the sun from her house and would like them lowered or removed.  This would enable her to install solar heating in her home.

 

Mrs Scarlett advised that she has tried on numerous occasions to resolve the issue with Council Officers and Ward Councillors and has had no luck with an official response.

 

Mrs Scarlett further advised that the reserve is a lovely space being a native reserve.  She suggested that there be information boards which tell the story of the trees/shrub names and the history of Winton.  There are also interesting spaces for the younger members of the Winton community to explore.

 

(Handout attached to the minutes as appendix 1.)

 

Janice Templeton (submission number 51) addressed the meeting in support of her submission on the Regional heritage rate.

 

She advised that she supported the Regional Heritage rate option 1 of a rate increase of $5 (incl GST) as long as the funds are still allocated to the small museums as in the past and not a larger portion going to the Southland Museum.

 

She also advised that it is timely that Southland District Council gave focus on their part of the delivery of museum services in Southland and that all of Southland needs to support all museums in the District.

 

Leanne Shaw (submission number 80) did not appear before the meeting in support of her submission on the Catlins Road and Regional Heritage rate.

 

Brian McCandless (submission number 112) addressed the meeting in support of his submission on the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail and Te Anau Wastewater project.

 

Mr McCandless advised that he had no opinion on the sealing of the Catlins Road or the Heritage rate, however he is concerned that Council has an appetite for high risk projects and that there is a need for more transparency, accountability and communication on controversial projects.

 

Rex Cockburn (submission number 159) did not appear before the meeting in support of his submission on the Cycle Trail and Te Anau Wastewater project.

 

Allan Youldon (submission number 185) addressed the meeting in support of his submission on the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail, Sealing of the Catlins Road and the Regional heritage rate.

 

Mr Youldon advised that he is convinced that the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail has had very little research on the probable use and/or advantage of the cycleway.  It starts from nowhere and ends on a lakeshore which are hardly main tourist destinations or locations with easy access or egress for cyclists.

 

He also advised that no further money should be spent on the construction or continuation of the Around the Mountain Cycle Trail.

 

Mr Youldon is not in favour of sealing the Catlins Road.  He believes that Council spends a sizeable amount of rates on roading throughout the District and that roads sealed are now reverting to unsealed as they are cheaper to maintain.

 

Mr Youldon advised that the increase in the Regional Heritage Rate should be in accordance with the 10 year plan.

 

Ray Willett (submission number 231) addressed the meeting in support of his submission on the Around the Mountains Cycle Trail, Catlins Road and Regional Heritage rate.

 

Mr Willet advised the he supports option 1 to fund the sealing of the Catlins Road including the Slope Point Road to the first carpark and the road leading to the first carpark leading to the Waipapa Point lighthouse.  He also supports option 1 of the rates increase of $5 incl GST to the Regional Heritage rate.

 

Mr Willet also advised that he had concerns over the “Chaos” at Milford Sound and he believes that it is busier now than it was 40years ago.

 

(Handout attached to the minutes as appendix 3.)

 

Ricklon Corry (submission number 140) did not appear before the meeting in support of his submission on the Catlins Road and Regional heritage rate.

 

(The meeting adjourned at 11.24am and reconvened at 12.00pm. All members of Council were present when the meeting reconvened.)

 

(The meeting adjourned for lunch at 12.00pm and reconvened at 1.02pm.  All members of Council were present when the meeting reconvened.)

 

Bronwyn Grant and Shelley Lithgow representing Gore Kids Hub Charitable Trust (submission number 173) addressed the meeting in support of their submission on the Grant Request.

 

They advised that the Gore Kids Hub had applied through the Annual Plan process for a grant to assist with the funds for the provision of a specialist playground.  They also advised that they would also be applying to the Gore District Council as part of their Annual Plan process.

 

(Handout attached to the minutes as appendix 4.)

 

Brian Mason (submission number 174) addressed the meeting in support of his submission on the Edendale Community Centre.

 

Mr Mason advised that consultation with the community has not been good on the proposal for a new Edendale Community Centre.

 

He believes that the reasons for putting the Community Centre at the Rugby Grounds is faulty because Edendale is expanding towards Wyndham and there are better sites closer to the community for a new facility.

 

Mr Mason also believes that the proposal to spend up to $850,000 is not sustainable for a town of approximately 475 people.

 

Janet Horrell (submission number 217) addressed the meeting in support of her submission on the Haast Hollyford Road.

 

Mrs Horrell advised that the Haast Hollyford Road should be a high priority item for the Council to achieve in the next five years.  She also suggested that a survey be included in the rates demands to enable the Council to get a feel for how Southlanders feel about the issue.

 

Mrs Horrell also added that if the road was built then other things would happen like bringing money in the region and would make a superb Southland.

 

Justine Parker (submission number 119) addressed the meeting in support of her submission on the Catlins Road.

 

Mrs Parker advised that she supports option 1 of sealing the Catlins Road.  She is a resident in the area and that she sees a lot of accident victims.  She believes that 90% of the accidents are caused by people driving too fast on the loose gravel road.

 

Mrs Parker requested that the road be sealed and widened and asked that the high crash zones are sealed first.  She felt that sealing shouldn’t just be for the tourists but also for the residents of the 19 farms in the area.

 

She also advised that she spends a lot of time with people who have had accidents and also the wear and tear on the locals vehicles is high due to the condition of the road.

 

Mrs Parker also asked for another toilet at Weirs Beach and also a toilet at Slope Point as she has people coming to her house looking for a toilet to use.

 

Wendy Holder (submission number 210) addressed the meeting in support of her submission on the Catlins Road and the Organisational Restructure.

 

Mrs Holder advised that she is supportive of option 3 of not sealing any of the roads in the Catlins area.  She believes that the sealing of the Catlins road is going to directly benefit the commercial (tourism) and industrial (roading and gravel) sectors and yet there is a decrease in roading rates for these areas.  She also advised that the non-dairy sector has had no increase in road usage and dairy minimal since the last rates set yet both sectors are carrying a huge increase. 

 

Mrs Holder advised that the road she lives on is in a state of consistent disrepair.  It is a high usage road as a means of a shortcut and has potholes and ruts in it.

 

Mrs Holder also advised that she objects to the increase in expenditure on employee expenses.  She commented that a restructure of an organisation usually takes place to reduce costs not increase.

 

She also commented that Southland District and Environment Southland should amalgamate and become a Unitary Authority and that would enable some better efficiencies with resource consenting.

 

 

 

 

 

Chief Executive – Steve Ruru, Group Manager, Community and Futures - Rex Capil and Management Accountant – Susan McNamara representing the Southland District Council Staff (submission number 218) addressed the meeting in support of their submission on the Various issues.

 

They addressed the meeting in support of the following:

·                     Additional funding for the Community and Futures Project

·                     Additional funding for expenses for the 2016/2019 Triennial Elections

·                     Adjust the 2015/2016 projects and include into the 2016/2017 Annual Plan

·                     Noting an update on project funding for the Te Anau Wastewater Consent

·                     Noting the receipt of Venture Southland forecasted financial statements for 2016/2017 and consolidate its share into the Annual Plan

 

(The meeting adjourned at 2.24pm and reconvened at 2.34pm.  All members of Council were present when the meeting reconvened.)

 

Riverton Aparima Community Board (submission number 220) did not appear before the meeting in support of their submission on the Havelock Street Kerb and Channel project.

 

Dave Wilson representing The Roading Company Ltd. (submission number 228) addressed the meeting in support of their submission on the Catlins Road and general roading.

 

Mr Wilson advised that the Company supported option 1 to fund the sealing of the Catlins Road from Haldane to Curio Bay.  He believes that the sealing will be of benefit to Southland tourism and should have been done earlier when funding was offered.

 

Mr Wilson commented that the Council needs to review the amount of renewal sealing that it is doing each year.

 

Mr Wilson encouraged Council to get the job done as it is going to take some time to complete.

 

Wendy Baker (submission number 227) addressed the meeting in support of her submission on the Around the Mountains Cycle Train, Mataura Islands War memorial, Roads, Signage, Submission, Sealing of Mersey Street in Fortrose, Dog Control, Customer Service, Stock Control and Immigrants.

 

Miss Baker praised Council for the easy to read and clear Draft Annual Plan consultation document, dog control and work to stop erosion at Fortrose.  She advised the meeting that she supports the Catlins Road sealing and also Mersey Road in Fortrose.

 

Miss Baker suggested a number of issues for Council.  These included

·                a no rates increase as there has already been too much of ratepayer money spent on the Cycle Trail

·                regular maintenance of the Mataura Island War Memorial,

·                more roadside grass mowing especially at intersections and around District Council signage

·                letters of reply to submitters more relevant to submissions with comments regarding issues raised during the oral submission process

·                reporting and education and infringements regarding dog control

·                compassion for complaints

·                more education around importance of checking fencing/gates and stock getting onto properties and the road

·                preparation of a welcome pack to new people in Southland to give to new ratepayers.

 

(Hand-out attached as appendix 5 to the minutes.)

 

(The meeting adjourned for afternoon tea at 3.05pm and reconvened at 3.27pm.  Councillor Douglas was not present when the meeting reconvened.)

 

Rachel Cooman representing CCS Disability Action (submission number 230) addressed the meeting in support of the submission on the Disability Services and Curio Bay.

 

She reinforced the comments in the submission for the provision of accessible facilities at Curio Bay and asks that the Council have the plans for the redevelopment reviewed by a Barrier Free auditor and the Disabled Community.  This would ensure that the facilities are accessible when built rather than having to do a retrofit later.

 

Ms Cooman also reinforced her submission that the inability to access facilities in the community can lead to isolation meaning that people are often unable to carry out activities of maintaining or gaining employment, shopping, attending community functions or medical appointments.  This can be an issue locally or in main centres.  There are many factors that can contribute to the problem because of the quality of footpaths, steep kerbs, inaccessible carparks, access ramps or accessible toilets.  These factors often influence a decision to leave a community.  She also commented that many of the barriers can be addressed by the Council by ensuring that planned maintenance and new facilities comply with various Standards.

 

During the submission from Rachel Cooman, Councillor Douglas returned to the meeting at 3.29pm.)

 

Christine Henderson (submission number 229) addressed the meeting in support of their submission on the Catlins Road, Regional Heritage rate and Lumsden Heritage buildings.

 

She advised that she was in support of option 1 to seal the Catlins Road because the road is an important tourist highway.   She would like to Council to apply to the Minister of Tourism for some funding for the sealing from the Tourism budget.

 

Mrs Henderson advised that she supports option 1 of the Regional Heritage Rate proposal.  She suggested that various items in museum storage could be used in displays in vacant shops in Invercargill which would create interesting displays.

 

She also advised that there was a lack of public consultation on the Four Square buildings in Lumsden.  She suggested that Council set up a working group to find creative ways for public input, funding and adaptive reuse of public and privately owned heritage buildings.

 

(Hand-out attached as appendix 6 to the minutes.)

 

 

 

Allan Marshall representing Tokanui School Board of Trustees (submission number 196) did not appear before the meeting in support of their submission on the Catlins Road.

 

 

Resolution

Moved Mayor Tong, seconded Deputy Mayor Duffy and resolved:

That the Council:

a)         Receives the report titled “Schedule of Oral Submitters for Draft Annual Plan 2016/2017” dated 30 March 2016.

 

b)         Receives the public submissions received on the Annual Plan including the eleven late submissions.

 

c)         Receives the informal feedback from Facebook as information.

 

d)         Thanks the Submitters for their attendance.

 

 

 

The meeting concluded at 4.03pm.               CONFIRMED AS A TRUE AND CORRECT RECORD AT A MEETING OF THE Council HELD ON THURSDAY 7 APRIL 2016.

 

 

 

DATE:...................................................................

 

 

 

CHAIRPERSON:...................................................

 

 


Council

07 April 2016

APPENDIX 1

sdclogo

 


Council

07 April 2016

APPENDIX 2

sdclogo

 


Council

07 April 2016

APPENDIX 3

sdclogo

 

 


Council

07 April 2016

APPENDIX 4

sdclogo

 

 


Council

07 April 2016

APPENDIX 5

sdclogo

 

 


Council

07 April 2016

APPENDIX 6

sdclogo