Riverton Harbour Subcommittee

 

OPEN MINUTES

 

 

Minutes of a meeting of Riverton Harbour Subcommittee held in the Southland District Council Office Riverton, 117 Palmerston Street, Riverton on Monday, 12 March 2018 at 4.30pm.

 

present

 

Chairperson

Nick White

Riverton Harbour Berth Owner

Members

Hayley Nelson

Riverton Harbour Berth Owner

 

Muriel Johnstone

Oraka Aparima Runaka

 

Blair Stewart

Riverton/Aparima Community Board

 

Graeme Stuart

Riverton/Aparima Community Board

 

Councillor Nick Perham

 

 

Committee Advisor

Alyson Hamilton

Community Engineer

Greg Erskine

Property Asset Management Officer

Colin Pemberton

Environment Southland

Lyndon Cleaver

 

 

 


Riverton Harbour Subcommittee

12 March 2018

 

1             Apologies

 

There were no apologies.

 

 

2             Leave of absence

 

There were no requests for leave of absence.

 

 

3             Conflict of Interest

 

There were no conflicts of interest declared.

 

 

4             Public Forum

 

There was no public forum.

 

 

5             Extraordinary/Urgent Items

 

Moved Member White, seconded Member Stewart and resolved:

That the Riverton Harbour Subcommittee consider the following item as a matter of urgent business in order that a decision can be made before the next ordinary meeting, subject to Section 46A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.

 

Item 1:  Riverton Lions Club - Duck Race

 

 

6             Confirmation of Minutes

 

Resolution

Moved Member Stewart, seconded Member White  and resolved:

That the Open minutes and Closed minutes of the Riverton Harbour Subcommittee meeting held on 16 October 2017 be confirmed as a true and correct record of that meeting.

 

Reports

 

 

7.1

Riverton Wharves Update

Record No: R/18/2/4304

 

Property Asset Management Officer (Colin Pemberton) was in attendance for the report.

 

Mr Pemberton advised the purpose of the report is to update the subcommittee on the progress of the issuing of new licences for all wharf structures, including the two Riverton Slipways in the Riverton Harbour.

 

Members queried the timeframe of licences to be posted to wharf owners - Mr Pemberton responded stating this is to occur shortly along with the letter to wharf owners who have not yet completed the work.

 

Members queried the temporary ramp having been constructed by Schofield Fishing to allow access to the sea bed at low tide to undertake work to their wharf and whether the necessary consents were obtained.  Staff to investigate this issue and circulate to the subcommittee members relevant papers via email.

 

Members also queried reinstatement of the retaining wall and suggested staff undertake an inspection of the area to ensure no damage was incurred to the retaining wall.

 

 

Resolution

Moved Member White, seconded Cr Perham  and resolved:

That the Riverton Harbour Subcommittee:

a)            Receives the report titled “Riverton Wharves Update” dated 1 March 2018.

 

 

7.2

Schedule of Meetings for 2018

Record No: R/18/1/1705

 

Committee Advisor (Alyson Hamilton) presented the report.

The purpose of the report is to approve a schedule of meeting dates for 2018 so that meetings can be publicly notified in accordance with the requirements set by the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 following the Council adopting a meeting schedule for 2018.

 

 

 

Resolution

Moved Member Stewart, seconded Member White  and resolved:

That the Riverton Harbour Subcommittee:

a)            Receives the report titled “Schedule of Meetings for 2018” dated 5 March 2018.

 

b)           Determines that this matter or decision be recognised as not significant in terms of Section 76 of the Local Government Act 2002.

 

c)            Determines that it has complied with the decision-making provisions of the Local Government Act 2002 to the extent necessary in relation to this decision; and in accordance with Section 79 of the Act determines that it does not require further information, further assessment of options or further analysis of costs and benefits or advantages and disadvantages prior to making a decision on this matter.

 

d)           Agrees to meet at 4.30pm at the Southland District Council Riverton office on the following dates in 2018:

·        Monday, 12 March 2018

·        Monday, 11 June 2018

·        Monday, 3 September 2018

·        Monday, 3 December 2018

 

 

8.1

Extraordinary/Urgent Items

 

 

Riverton Lions Club – Duck Race

 

Communication from Wayne Fleck on behalf of the Riverton Lions Club seeking the subcommittee’s approval to hold a duck race on Sunday, 1 April 2018 at the Riverton Harbour.

 

Mr Fleck advised the ducks are to be released at high tide below the Rescue Boat shed and finish at the bridge.

 

Members were informed a team of Lions club members and their helpers are to be in boats on the water, for releasing, guiding and collecting the ducks and will follow all safety aspects.

 

 

Resolution

Moved Member Stewart, seconded Member Stuart  and resolved:

That the Riverton Harbour Subcommittee:

a)                 Receives the report titled “Riverton Lions Club – Duck Race” dated 12 March 2018.

 

b)           Determines that this matter or decision be recognised as not significant in terms of Section 76 of the Local Government Act 2002.

c)            Determines that it has complied with the decision-making provisions of the Local Government Act 2002 to the extent necessary in relation to this decision; and in accordance with Section 79 of the Act determines that it does not require further information, further assessment of options or further analysis of costs and benefits or advantages and disadvantages prior to making a decision on this matter.

d)          Approves the request of the Riverton Lions Club to host a Duck Race to be held on the Riverton Harbour on Sunday, 1 April 2018 subject to all Health and Safety Procedures being adhered to.

 

 

9.1

Chairperson's Report

 

The Chair, Member White reported on activities with which he has been involved since the Subcommittee’s last meeting.  This included the following:

 

§  Advice that the beacon light situated at the Taramea (Howells Point) is to be replaced with a VSL-73 360 LED Sector light at an approximate cost of $14,000.   The Community Engineer advised the project is included in the Long Term Plan 2018 2028.

 

§  Mr Erskine presented the expenditure statement for the period ended January 2018, he explained the year to date actual income and expenditure budgets in relation to the annual budget is on track and within expected levels.

 

§  Advice that the power to the long wharf is set to be cut off on 30 June 2018. The Chair informed berth owners are to make their own arrangements with the Power Company in regards to setting up own power junctions.

 

The Community Engineer advised that lights are to operate for safety reasons and are to be converted to LED.

 

§  Advice that Blain Allan Building is to undertake repair work to “T” wharf.

 

§  Advice that a boat has been recently removed from the water for repair work.   Members were advised of issues with the boat owner living on board the vessel whilst parked in the water and exceeding the daily limit of 5 nights allowed by the Harbour subcommittee.   Staff were requested to monitor the vessel.

 

§  Advice that the leadlight situated at the North Beach requires repair work . Staff to take the necessary remedial action.

 

§  Appreciation to berth owners who have undertaken repair work to their wharves and who have mostly done a good job.

 

§  Advice that youths have been removing rocks along the recently repaired causeway and throwing them into the sea. The Chair to check the causeway for any damage.

 

 

 

The meeting concluded at 5.25pm                       CONFIRMED AS A TRUE AND CORRECT RECORD AT A MEETING OF THE Riverton Harbour Subcommittee HELD ON MONDAY, 12 MARCH 2018.

 

 

 

DATE:............................................................................................

 

 

 

CHAIRPERSON:........................................................................