Riverton/Aparima Community Board

 

OPEN MINUTES

 

 

Minutes of a meeting of Riverton/Aparima Community Board held in the Southland District Council Riverton Office, 117 Palmerston Street, Riverton on Monday, 9 April 2018 at 5.30pm.

 

present

 

Chairperson

Blair Stewart

 

Deputy Chairperson

Jan Breayley

 

Members

Neil Linscott

 

 

Corey Mennell

 

 

Graeme Stuart

 

 

Andrew Wilson

 

 

IN ATTENDANCE

 

Committee Advisor

Alyson Hamilton

Community Partnership Leader

Simon Moran

 


Riverton/Aparima Community Board

09 April 2018

 

1             Apologies

 

There was an apology received from Councillor Perham.

 

Moved Chairperson Stewart, seconded Member Breayley and resolved:

That the Otautau Community Board accept the apology.

 

 

2             Leave of absence

 

There were no requests for leave of absence.

 

 

3             Conflict of Interest

 

There were no conflicts of interest declared.

 

 

4             Public Forum

 

Mr Don Goodhue

 

Mr Goodhue addressed the meeting expressing his concerns with freedom camping in the Riverton and surrounding areas.

 

Mr Goodhue advised of lodging Request for Service with Council when he has viewed a freedom camping situation and queried what response he could reasonably expect from this.  Staff to follow-up and respond to Mr Goodhue.

 

The Chair, Member Stewart expressed appreciation to Mr Goodhue for his attendance at the meeting and presentation to the Board advising staff are continuing to monitor the situation and have work planned to look at a district wide management strategy once the direction of the national policy review on freedom camping becomes clearer.

 

 

5             Extraordinary/Urgent Items

 

There were no Extraordinary/Urgent items.

 

 

6             Confirmation of Minutes

 

Resolution

Moved Member Breayley, seconded Member Stuart  and resolved:

That the minutes of Riverton/Aparima Community Board meeting held on 12 February 2018 be confirmed as a true and correct record of that meeting.

 

 

Reports for Recommendation

 

 

7.1

Naming of Grandstand - Leader Street, Riverton

Record No: R/18/3/7146

 

Simon Moran (Community Partnership Leader) presented the report.

 

Mr Moran advised the purpose of the report is for the Board to approve the naming of the new grandstand at the recreation reserve on Leader Street, Riverton.

Mr Moran explained the old grandstand on the recreation reserve was demolished in 2014. A new covered viewing grandstand area has been built and is now available for use. 

Mr Moran added a member of the community has suggested that the building be named after local identity Graeme Boyd Robertson.

The Meeting noted Mr Robertson is a sporting icon in Riverton and has been involved or represented the area in many sports and holds life memberships in the Riverton Rowing Club, Riverton Trotting Club, Southland Legion of Rowers, Riverton Golf Club, Riverton Rugby Club and Riverton Regatta Society.  This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to his contribution to the community.

 

 

 

Resolution

Moved Chairperson Stewart, seconded Member Linscott  and resolved:

That the Riverton/Aparima Community Board:

a)            Receives the report titled “Naming of Grandstand - Leader Street, Riverton” dated 4 April 2018.

 

b)           Determines that this matter or decision be recognised as not significant in terms of Section 76 of the Local Government Act 2002.

 

c)            Determines that it has complied with the decision-making provisions of the Local Government Act 2002 to the extent necessary in relation to this decision; and in accordance with Section 79 of the Act determines that it does not require further information, further assessment of options or further analysis of costs and benefits or advantages and disadvantages prior to making a decision on this matter.

 

d)           Agrees to name the new stand at the recreation reserve on Leader Street “GB Robertson Stand”.

 

e)            Approves the signage including the name GB Robertson Stand and funding be taken from Grandstand project account.

 

f)             Notes that the signage must meet the Southland District Council District Plan requirements.

 

 

Reports

 

 

8.1

Council Report

Record No: R/18/3/7003

 

Simon Moran (Community Partnership Leader) presented the report.

 

Mr Moran advised the purpose of the report is to provide an overview of key issues across the Southland District, as well as high level local issues from various Council units.

 

Mr Moran informed the report highlighted various issues of interest including:

 

§  Riverton township water issues

§  Freedom Camping

Mr Moran advised of a freedom camping review being undertaken at a national level.

§  Climate Change

§  Civil Defence review

Member Linscott advised of a public meeting to be held in Riverton Wednesday, 9 May 2018 with Emergency Management staff in attendance to update on civil defence activities

§  Southland Regional Development Agency

§  Ouvea Premix

§  Welcome Ambassador Project Update

§  2018 Long Term Plan and Policies

§  Community Organisation and Volunteer Sector Shared Services Pilots

§  Tourism Infrastructure Fund Application

§  Representation Review update

The Meeting noted the Initial Proposal will go to Council in April 2018 for adoption for consultation.  The proposal will be open for submissions throughout May and closing Wednesday, 6 June 2018.

§  Environmental Health

§  Libraries update

§  Community Facilities and Housing Review

Request for a copy of the Morrison Low service delivery review of Councils community facilities and community housing services to be circulated to Members via email.

§  Update on financial information for the Riverton/Aparima Community Board

 

 

Resolution

Moved Member Linscott, seconded Member Mennell  and resolved:

That the Riverton/Aparima Community Board:

a)            Receives the report titled “Council Report” dated 29 March 2018.

UPDATES

8.1

Chairperson's Report

 

The Chairperson, Member Stewart, to report on matters with which he has been involved with since the Board’s last meeting.  This included the following:

§  Advice of meeting with residents of Longwood Lifestyle regarding removal of some of the roadside shrubs due to their untidy state and view issues.  Staff to make the necessary arrangements for this work to be undertaken.

 

§  Advice that Community Board Chairs are awaiting a date for a workshop with the Mayor and councillors to discuss common concerns regarding the new approach to Board meetings.  Staff to follow-up with the Mayor.

 

§  Request for an approach has been made to the Roading Manager querying the possible closing of the accessway along Palmerston Street to the Palmerston Street extension at the traffic island.

 

§  Request for an approach to New Zealand Transport Agency on the possible relocation of the 70km signage currently situated near the Aparima Tavern on the Orepuki Riverton Highway to the township boundary.

 

§  Suggestion for replacement of decking  and ongoing maintenance at the Focal Point to be included in the Annual Plan.

 

§  Advice that Aparima College has made an approach to the Community Initiatives Fund seeking a contribution toward the costs associated with producing the banners.  Members agreed to defer any funding contribution decision untill the results are known.

 

§  In addition to the recently placed doggie poo bags in the area of the walking tracks it was suggested that an additional doggie poo bag be placed at the North beach entrance.  Staff to action.

 

 

 

The meeting concluded at 6.30pm.                      CONFIRMED AS A TRUE AND CORRECT RECORD AT A MEETING OF THE Riverton/Aparima Community Board HELD ON MONDAY, 9 APRIL 2018.

 

 

 

DATE:............................................................................................

 

 

 

CHAIRPERSON:........................................................................