Winton Community Board





Minutes of a meeting of Winton Community Board held in the Southland District Council, Winton Office, 1 Wemyss Street, Winton on Tuesday, 12 June 2018 at 5.30pm.





Brian Somerville


Deputy Chairperson

Geoffrey Jukes



Natasha Mangels



Doreen McNaught



Neville McPherson






Councillor Darren Frazer

Committee Advisor

Alyson Hamilton

Community Partnership Leader

Michelle Stevenson


Winton Community Board

12 June 2018


1             Apologies


There was an apology from Councillor Paterson and Member Schmidt.


Moved Deputy Chairperson Jukes, seconded Member McNaught and resolved:

That the Winton Community Board accept the apologies.



2             Leave of absence


There were no requests for leave of absence.



3             Conflict of Interest


There were no conflicts of interest declared.



4             Public Forum


Winton Kindergarten

Ms Christina Vaughan accompanied by five children from the Kindergarten addressed the meeting advising that during the current the Kindergarten is undertaking a Murihiku Polyfest Arts Journey with the theme being “Storytelling” and it is intended the Kindergarten share the Maori Legend of the Takitimu Mountains as retold by the children by way of signage including sound technology.


Ms Vaughan advised it is intended the proposed signage be placed on Central Southland College (Ministry of Education) land adjacent the Ivy Russell Reserve.


Ms Vaughan explained she has made an approach to various local organisations and businesses for support and direction and has been overwhelmed with the enthusiasm and support from the community.


The Chair expressed appreciation to Ms Vaughan and the children for their attendance at the meeting and presentation to the Board.


Josh Webb - New Zealand Transport Agency


Mr Webb addressed the meeting advising of his role with New Zealand Transport Agency and updated on reseal works to be undertaken on state highways in the Winton area.


Mr Webb added that reseal work along the Winton’s Great North Road is scheduled to be undertaken during 2019/2020.


The Chair expressed appreciation to Mr Webb for his attendance at the meeting and presentation to the Board.




Grant Hubber


Mr Hubber addressed the meeting advising that he is the Hokonui Constituency representative for Environment Southland and updated the Board on activities that come within the responsibility of Environment Southland.


The Chair expressed appreciation to Mr Hubber for his attendance at the meeting and presentation to the Board.



5             Extraordinary/Urgent Items


There were no Extraordinary/Urgent items.



6             Confirmation of Minutes



Moved Deputy Chairperson Jukes, seconded Member McPherson  and resolved:

That the Winton Community Board confirms the minutes of the meetings held on 16 April 2018, 30 April 2018 and 28 May 2018 as a true and correct record of those meetings.






Council Report

Record No: R/18/5/11792


Michelle Stevenson (Manager, Strategy and Policy) and Councillor Frazer presented the report.


Ms Stevenson advised the purpose of the report is to provide an overview of key issues across the Southland District, as well as high level local issues from various Council units.


Ms Stevenson informed the report highlighted various issues of interest including:


§  Water issues

§  Local Government (Community Wellbeing) Amendment Bill and Local Electoral Matters Bill

§  Watermain Project - Winton local Update

Ms Stevenson advised a watermain project is due to commence in mid-June in Wemyss and Railway Street (including under Great North Road)

§  Community Futures Research and Analysis Work programme

§  Representation Review update

Ms Stevenson advised a hearings panel comprising Council and members of the elected Representative Working Group will meet Monday, 18 and 19 June 2018 to hear any submitters who wish to be heard and considered, and to make recommendations to the proposal.


Ms Stevenson explained Council will then on 11 July 2018 decide whether to make any changes to the proposal and to adopt its final proposal.


Ms Stevenson added public notice of the final proposal will be given and there will be opportunity for objections and /or appeals.


The Meeting noted these will then be sent to the Local Government Commission who will make the final determination.


§  Ms Stevenson updated on finances relating to the Winton Community Board.




Moved Member McNaught, seconded Member Mangels  and resolved:

That the Winton Community Board:

a)            Receives the report titled “Council Report” dated 23 May 2018.






Chairperson's Report


Chairperson, Member Somerville, reported on activities with which he has been involved since the Board’s last meeting.  This included the following:


§   advice of dog attack in Winton; Council staff are continuing with investigations on this matter


§   advice that the ANZAC Day services went well - appreciation to Deputy Chair Jukes and Member McNaught for presenting the wreaths at the Parade


§   advice that a date for a township tour has yet to be finalised; the Chair to liaise with members to find a suitable date


§   update on a recent oil spill into the Winton Creek still under investigation by Council staff


§   Skatepark update, the Chair to liaise with the Skatepark Trust to ascertain progress of the proposed handover to the Community Board


§   update on Civil Defence activities


§   attendance at Winton Volunteer Fire Brigade meeting


§   attendance at Winton Business Association meeting


§   attendance at AB Lime liaison meeting


§   advice that the $50K earmarked from the Board toward the Moore’s Estate Sports Complex has yet to be actioned by staff.  The Chair to follow-up with Finance staff.


§  The Chair advised of an e-mail received outlining results of the Local Government New Zealand (LGNZ) CouncilMARK programme on those councils that have registered interest in partaking of this programme.


The Chair explained the CouncilMARK programme is best described as a measure of performance assessment and continuous improvement that assists council to deliver top service and value to their communities.   The Chair added Councils receive an overall performance rating from a team of independent assessors and commentary on their performance and drives improvement.   The reports are designed to provide councils and communities an informed and independent view on how they are carrying out their roles, including on where they are excelling and areas for improvement.


The Meeting was advised the Southland District Council has yet to be included in this process.


The members enquired if the Council intend to register with CouncilMARK Local Government Auditing in the near future and requested staff respond to the Board members via e-mail.


§  The Chair expressed disappointment at the lack of numbers from the Winton public that attended a café style meeting to inform of the proposed stormwater upgrade to be undertaken along Great North Road and De Joux Road and the associated costings.


§  Deputy Chair Jukes raised the issue of the possible purchasing of bicycle stands to be placed in the Winton township and commented that the Lion Foundation has suggested the Board lodge an application to this Foundation for grant monies to assist towards the purchase of the bicycle stands.


Following discussion Members agreed that prior to the purchase or accepting any donation of bike stands staff provide a report to the next meeting of the Board to include location, costing options and also to ascertain what consents are required for the installation of bicycle stands on footpaths.




Moved Member McPherson, seconded Deputy Chairperson Jukes  and resolved:

That the Winton Community Board:

a)            Request for staff to provide a report to the next meeting of the Winton Community Board relating to the purchase or possible donation of bicycle stands for the Winton Township such report to include suitable locations, costing options and consent requirements.


b)           Query regarding whether the Southland District Council are considering to register with CouncilMARK Local Government Auditing and that staff respond to Board Members via e-mail.




Councillor's Report


Councillor Frazer reported on matters from the District Council table.  These included:


§  query to the Councillor regarding replacement of the bridge on Deans Road when there are no residents living along this road. Staff to report back to members via e-mail.




The meeting concluded at 7.02pm.                      CONFIRMED AS A TRUE AND CORRECT RECORD AT A MEETING OF THE Winton Community Board HELD ON TUESDAY 12 JUNE 2018.