Notice is hereby given that a Meeting of the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board will be held on:




Meeting Room:


Monday, 8 October 2018


Pavilion, Ayr Street, Stewart Island


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board Agenda







Jon Spraggon


Deputy Chairperson

Steve Lawrence



Dale Chittenden



Aaron Conner



Greg Everest



Anita Geeson



Councillor Bruce Ford





Committee Advisor

Kirsten Hicks

Community Partnership Leader

Karen Purdue



Contact Telephone: 0800 732 732

Postal Address: PO Box 903, Invercargill 9840




Full agendas are available on Council’s Website




Terms of Reference – Community Boards


Community Boards are bodies established by statute.  Their responsibilities and powers are as delegated by the Southland District Council which are to:

·                      Represent and act as an advocate for the interest of its community.

·                      Consider and report on all matters referred to it by the Southland District Council, or any matter of interest or concern to the Community Board.

·                      Maintain an overview of services provided by the Southland District Council within the community.

·                      Consider annual estimates for expenditure within the community and recommend these to Council.

·                      Communicate with community organisations and special interest groups within the community.

·                      Undertake any other responsibilities that are delegated to it by the Southland District Council.


In addition to these activities, Community Boards will consider how best to provide for their communities, and the people who live there, into the future.


Community Board members will provide leadership by:

·                Positively representing their community and the Southland District

·                Identifying key issues that will affect their community’s future and work with Council staff and other local representatives to facilitate multi-agency collaborative opportunities.

·                Promote a shared vision for the wider community of interest area and develop ways to work with others to achieve positive outcomes


·                Community Boards will adopt a strategic focus that will enable members to:

·                Provide local representation and guidance on wider community issues, initiatives and projects.

·                Contribute to the development and promotion of community cohesion, by developing and supporting relationships across a range of stakeholders at a local, regional and national level.

·                Take part in local community forums, meetings and workshops.

·                Inform local residents and ratepayers on issues that affect them.


Community Boards shall have the following delegated powers and be accountable to Council for the exercising of these powers


Engagement and representation by:

·                Facilitating the Council’s consultation with local residents and community groups on local issues and local aspects of district wide issues including input into the Long-term Plan, Annual Plan, and policies that impact on the Board’s area.

·                Engaging with council officers on local issues and levels of service, including infrastructural, recreational, community services and parks, reserves and cemetery matters.

·                Representing the interests of the community at Council, Committee or Subcommittee meetings when a motion under debate relates to a matter that the Board considers to be of particular interest to the residents within its community.

·                Monitoring and keeping the Council informed of community aspirations and the level of satisfaction with services provided.


Financial by:

·                Approving expenditure within the limits of annual estimates.

·                Approving unbudgeted expenditure for locally funded activities up to the value of $10,000.


Rentals and leases

·                In relation to all leases of land and buildings within their own area, on behalf of Council;

§    Accepting the highest tenders for rentals of $10,000; or less per annum.

§    Approving the preferential allocation of leases where the rental is $10,000 or less per annum.



Local assets and facilities by

·                Overseeing the management of local halls and community centres which are owned by Council and where no management committee exists.  This will occur by way of relationship with officers of Southland District Council. 

·                Appoint a local liaison person responsible for community housing.


Some Community Boards have specific delegations in addition to the broad delegations above:


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

·                Contributing to the development of policy relating to the governance of the Stewart Island Electrical Supply Authority (SIESA). 

·                Overseeing the management of SIESA by way of relationship with officers of Southland District Council. 


Te Anau Community Board

·                Overseeing the management of the Te Anau/Manapouri Airport by way of relationship with officers of Southland District Council.


The Community Boards can make recommendations to Council on:


Assets and Facilities

·                Annually providing feedback on any asset management plans or community services strategies applicable to the community for which the Community Board is responsible.


Rentals and leases

·                In relation to all leases of land and buildings within their own area, on behalf of Council;

§    Recommending rentals in excess of $10,000 per annum to the Group Manager Services and Assets

§    Recommending the preferential allocation of leases where the rental is in excess of $10,000 per annum to the Group Manager Services and Assets.



·                Recommending tenders less than $200,000 to the Group Manager Services and Assets.

·                Recommending tenders in excess of $200,000 to the Services and Assets Committee.

·                Recommending tenders to the Services and Assets Committee where preference is not for acceptance of the highest tenderer,



·                Recommending annual estimates to Council.

·                Recommending unbudgeted expenditure in excess of $10,000 to the Services and Assets Committee.


Local Policy

·                Considering matters referred to it by officers, the Council, its committees or subcommittees, including reports and policy and bylaw proposals relating to the provision of council services within the Board’s area; and

·                Making submissions or recommendations in response to those matters as appropriate.


The Chairperson of each Community Board is delegated with the following additional responsibilities:

·                 Approval of leases, rental agreements and the rollover of existing contracts under $1,000;

·                 Engaging with Community Board members to make submissions to the Council on behalf of the Community Board where a submission period is outside of the Community Board meeting cycle.  Where a Chairperson is unable to base a submission on a consensus among Community Board members, a Community Board meeting must be held.


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

08 October 2018



ITEM                                                                                                                                                                                  PAGE


1             Apologies                                                                                                                                                                7

2             Leave of absence                                                                                                                                                7

3             Conflict of Interest                                                                                                                                             7

4             Public Forum                                                                                                                                                         7

5             Extraordinary/Urgent Items                                                                                                                        7

6             Confirmation of Minutes                                                                                                                               7


7.1         Council Report                                                                                                                                                   11

7.2         Financial Report for the year ended 30 June 2018                                                                       33

7.3         SIESA - Financial Report to 31 August 2018                                                                                     43

7.4         Update from the Strategy and Policy Team                                                                                     49  


Councillor's Report  

1             Apologies


At the close of the agenda no apologies had been received.


2             Leave of absence


At the close of the agenda no requests for leave of absence had been received.


3             Conflict of Interest


Committee Members are reminded of the need to be vigilant to stand aside from decision-making when a conflict arises between their role as a member and any private or other external interest they might have.


4             Public Forum

Notification to speak is required by 5pm at least two days before the meeting. Further information is available on or phoning 0800 732 732.


5             Extraordinary/Urgent Items

To consider, and if thought fit, to pass a resolution to permit the committee to consider any further items which do not appear on the Agenda of this meeting and/or the meeting to be held with the public excluded.

Such resolution is required to be made pursuant to Section 46A(7) of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, and the Chairperson must advise:

(i)     the reason why the item was not on the Agenda, and

(ii)          the reason why the discussion of this item cannot be delayed until a subsequent meeting.

Section 46A(7A) of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987 (as amended) states:

“Where an item is not on the agenda for a meeting,-

(a)    that item may be discussed at that meeting if-

(i)            that item is a minor matter relating to the general business of the local authority; and

(ii)           the presiding member explains at the beginning of the meeting, at a time when it is open to the public, that the item will be discussed at the meeting; but

(b)             no resolution, decision or recommendation may be made in respect of that item except to refer that item to a subsequent meeting of the local authority for further discussion.”


6             Confirmation of Minutes

6.1             Meeting minutes of Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board, 13 September 2018


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board






Minutes of a meeting of Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board held in the Stewart Island Pavilion, Ayr St, Oban on Thursday, 13 September 2018 at 10.30.





Jon Spraggon


Deputy Chairperson

Steve Lawrence



Dale Chittenden



Aaron Conner



Anita Geeson



Councillor Bruce Ford





Mayor – Gary Tong

Chief Executive Officer – Steve Ruru

Community Partnership Leader – Karen Purdue

Community Partnership Leader – Simon Moran

Community Engineer – Brendan Gray

Committee Advisor – Kirsten Hicks

1             Apologies



There were no apologies



2             Leave of absence



There were no requests for leave of absence.



3             Conflict of Interest


There were no conflicts of interest declared.



4             Public Forum


There was no public forum.



5             Extraordinary/Urgent Items


There were no Extraordinary/Urgent items.



6             Confirmation of Minutes



Moved Member Geeson, seconded Deputy Chairperson Lawrence  and resolved:

That the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board Confirms the minutes of the meeting  held on 13 August 2018 as a true and correct record of that meeting.






Stewart Island/Rakiura Jetties - Maintenance

Record No: R/18/9/20670


 Chief Executive Steve Ruru was in attendance for this item



Moved Cr Ford, seconded Deputy Chairperson Lawrence 

That the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board:

a)        Receives the report titled “Stewart Island/Rakiura Jetties - Maintenance” dated 5 September 2018.


b)        Determines that this matter or decision be recognised not significant in terms of Section 76 of the Local Government Act 2002.


c)         Determines that it has complied with the decision-making provisions of the Local Government Act 2002 to the extent necessary in relation to this decision; and in accordance with Section 79 of the Act determines that it does not require further information, further assessment of options or further analysis of costs and benefits or advantages and disadvantages prior to making a decision on this matter.


d)        Notes that Council approved unbudgeted expenditure of $80,000, from the district operations reserve, to enable the immediate repairs needed to the Ulva Island and Millers Beach jetties to be completed as soon as reasonably practicable.


e)        Approves the completion of the necessary maintenance works on the Ulva Island and Millers Beach jetties and asks that these works be completed as soon as reasonably practicable.


f)         Notes that Council has asked the Chief Executive to develop, in consultation with the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board, a project scope for a potential project to investigate the strategic challenges associated with the provision and funding of Council services on Stewart/Island Rakiura and that the Chief Executive will report back to a future meeting of the Board with draft terms of reference.







The meeting concluded at 10.40am                     CONFIRMED AS A TRUE AND CORRECT RECORD AT A MEETING OF THE Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board HELD ON THURSDAY 13 SEPTEMBER 2018










Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

8 October 2018


Council Report

Record No:             R/18/9/22302

Author:                      Karen Purdue, Community Partnership Leader

Approved by:         Rex Capil, Group Manager Community and Futures


  Decision                                        Recommendation                                  Information




Chief Executive

Water Issues

1.       Work is continuing with the Central Government Three Waters Review As noted previously, the work is divided into the following four major work streams:

1)      Oversight of the sector, the regulatory settings within which it works and the institutional arrangements in place for management of the water sector.

2)      Funding and financing mechanisms, including consideration of a range of options for future funding of three waters infrastructure.

3)      Capacity and capability of suppliers and regulatory agencies.

4)      The information used for providing transparency of the sectors performance, its accountability and decision-making processes.

2.       Central Government has been clear about the extent of the review process and the range of options that are being considered. Some of the key messages/points made to date include:


·       an independent drinking water regulator is being considered.

·       some form of economic regulation of infrastructure assets is also under consideration and there is a question about whether the current environmental regulation system needs to be strengthened.

·       changes to the regulatory framework, whether they involve enhanced reporting, oversight, compliance or raised standards are likely to have significant funding implications for local government.

·       Affordability is not an acceptable reason for failing to meet drinking water standards.

Service Delivery Options

·       service delivery arrangements should be reviewed and the Government is considering the merits of aggregation of water providers. There are a number of ways in which this aggregation could occur including at the regional or super regional level

·       a ‘system-wide’ joined up solution may be required. The solutions needed cannot necessarily be separated out by different territorial local authorities

·       continued public ownership is seen as a ‘bottom line’. This could include ownership by either central or local government

·       the broader role and functions of local government will need to be reviewed if the responsibilities for the delivery of water services is aggregated into larger service delivery entities.

3.       The Minister of Local Government has indicated her strong support for the development of aggregated water supply entities. In this regard she made the following comments in a recent speech to the Infrastructure NZ conference (

Given the interconnected nature of our water systems it is difficult to see how we can meet future regulatory requirements and consumer expectations without also making changes to service delivery arrangements, including infrastructure provision.

So while fixing the regulatory arrangements for water is a priority we also need to look at how we consider water service delivery to be able to fund infrastructure.

4.       In her speech the Minister also commented on the lessons she has drawn from her recent visit to the United Kingdom. Her comments on the lessons learnt included:

In general, as many of you may know, in the United Kingdom and Ireland they have:

·      much stronger regulation and more capable and better funded services;

·      independent drinking water and environmental regulation leading to safer drinking water and better environmental performance;

·      economic regulation that provides a  level of assurance that the right level of investment is being undertaken in the three waters; and

·      economic regulation that drives a focus on customers and efficiencies.

It is particularly instructive to note that Scottish Water has achieved 40 per cent savings and Ofwat, in England, achieved a 30 per cent savings on their consumers’ water bills.

Reflecting on their water reform experience my view is that a strong coordinated regulatory regime will not be enough on its own to deliver all the outcomes we are seeking here. The costs of upgrading the system to meet expected standards will fall on already heavily burdened ratepayers, and will take a very long time to accomplish.

This is something we will need to consider as we contemplate alternative options for service delivery in New Zealand, as is the need for professional skilled directors in any new options.

5.       It will also be important for the work being progressed via the Government Three Waters project to be integrated with the Local Government Funding Inquiry work being undertaken by the Productivity Commission and the Localism work that is now also underway. The way in which this integration is to be managed between the different government agencies involved is still to be clarified.

6.       Officers are continuing to monitor the progress being made with the Three Waters review and will keep Council updated as work progresses. 

Council Strategic Workshop

7.       Council held a strategic workshop on 6th and 7th August.

8.       The workshop provided an opportunity to have a ‘stocktake’ of the organisation’s progress and strategic direction following completion of the 2018 Long Term Plan and adoption of a new strategic framework.

9.       It is also clear that the local government sector as a whole is operating in a period of considerable change, the speed of which is likely to increase further in the short – medium term. Some of the major issues driving these changes include the three waters review, climate change, housing, regional development, funding and social equity issues. It is clear that in all of these areas retention of the status quo is not an option. The challenge is for Council to ensure that it has a position on and can influence the change processes as they occur.

10.     The outputs from the workshop will be used to inform the organisational work programme including that leading into the 2021 LTP. In this regard Council is being asked, as part of a separate agenda item, to confirm the continued use of the current strategic framework for the development of the 2021 LTP. 

Infrastructure Commission

11.     In August central Government announced the establishment of a new Infrastructure Commission that will be tasked with developing a consolidated national view on the state of infrastructure development across NZ.

12.     The creation of the Commission is a response to concerns about whether NZ is developing the infrastructure it needs to progress economically and the extent of the infrastructure deficits that exist in some parts of NZ. Infrastructure is a critical enabler for economic growth and development over time. The funding of infrastructure is a critical issue under Government’s urban growth agenda work programme. Hence, it has been allocated a level of priority for further work.

13.     Treasury is to lead development of the policy work needed to support formation of the new entity which will presumably replace the National Infrastructure Unit.

Southland Regional Development Agency

14.     Work is proceeding with the creation of the new Southland Regional Development Agency (SRDA).

15.     Consultation with the proposed community shareholders is well advanced and a final draft Memorandum of Understanding is close to being finalised with the four Murihiku Runanga. The MOU will need to be taken to each of the Councils for formal consideration/approval.

16.     A meeting of all of the proposed shareholders was held in August and there is a good level of agreement as to the proposed shareholding and other constitutional arrangements. These are to be formalised through a formal Shareholders Agreement which is currently being drafted and will be brought back to Council for formal approval in the near future.

17.     Work is also well advanced with the development of proposed new ‘contracting’ arrangements. In looking at what it is that this Council wants to purchase from the new Agency it is important to recognise that we need to change the focus of the organisation from what it was that Venture Southland has delivered in the past. There is a need for the Agency to be focussed on priorities that will make a difference to the development of the Southland region as a whole as well as the overall goals, particularly the attracting 10,000 more people goal that was set through SORDS. 

18.     The move to having a stronger regional focus does mean that the SRDA will do a number of different things, and in a different way, to which they may have been addressed in the past. 

Public Housing Plan

19.     Central Government have recently released their Public Housing Plan 2018 – 2022, which outlines how the Government aims to deliver around 6,400 more public housing places by June 2022 – approximately 1,600 places per year on average across Housing New Zealand (HNZ) and Community Housing Providers (CHPs). This includes some 100 new units in the Southern region which covers both Otago and Southland.

20.     Financial support is now available nationally to HNZ and CHPs to enable and incentivise the additional supply being sought.  The operating supplement will be extended so it is available to both HNZ and CHPs nationwide for net new (new build and turn-key) and net additional buy-in public housing supply. Upfront funding, on the other hand, will only be available in very limited circumstances.

Emergency Management Review

21.     Central Government have recently released their decisions on changes to be made to the Emergency Management systems in NZ following completion of the Technical Advisory Group review that was completed in 2017. A copy of the decisions report is available on the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet website (

22.     The Government’s response addresses the Technical Advisory Group’s recommendations and details which aspects of the recommendations have been accepted. It then goes on to set out a multi-year work programme to progress the implementation of those recommendations that have been accepted. The work to be progressed will deliver improvements in the following five areas:

·      putting the safety and wellbeing of people at the heart of the emergency response system

·      strengthening the national leadership of the emergency management system

·      making it clear who is responsible for what, nationally and regionally

·      building the capability and capability of the emergency management workforce

·      improving the information and intelligence system that supports decision making in emergencies

23.     Central Government officials are now charged with progressing the work programme needed to implement the improvements identified in these areas.

Long Term Plan Consultation Documents

24.     The Office of the Auditor-General have recently released a report ( that provides an overview of their findings from the auditing of the 2018 LTP consultation documents.

25.     While noting that all 2018-28 consultation documents were considered to be fit for purpose it identifies that there are a number of opportunities for improvement, including some identified in their 2015 report which have not been realised. These include the content and layout of the document and well as giving considering to engaging with communities on critical issues well ahead of the formal consultation document process.

Environmental Services

Group Managers Update

26.     Consent workloads across the team have continued to be relatively strong, although a slight slowdown in building consent numbers lodged has occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

27.     Collaborative cross-council discussions have been held with regard to evaluating and progressing on-line lodgement and processing. It is desirable to seek to work towards common platforms across the Southland Councils, consistent with the SoRDS Ease of Doing Business work streams.

28.     The IANZ Project team continues to work towards the positioning of the Building Solutions Team for the March 2019 reaccreditation audit. A strong focus has been on learnings from other recent audits of other councils and the issues that have been flagged through those.

29.     Work continues on the action plan from the Environmental Services Service Delivery Review action plan, with an update presented to the Regulatory and Consents Committee meeting on 6th September 2018.

30.     The Council will be participating in a combined programme coordinated through Emergency Management Southland to improve Business Continuity Planning. A consistent approach to this will be coordinated by Ian Cryer, Recovery Manager for Emergency Management Southland with this programme having been endorsed by the Coordinating Executive Group (CEG).

Environmental Health


31.     Council successfully prosecuted a person for littering in a public place.  While being driven by a companion, the person threw greenwaste while standing in a large trailer onto long stretches of road, including Kennington-Waimatua Road and Motu Rimu Road. 

32.     This person pleaded guilty and was dealt with by Judge Brandts-Giesen.  The Judge fined him $150; court costs of $130 and made an order that $240.35 clean-up costs be paid to the Council.

33.     At the time of writing, prosecution proceedings have commenced against the two owners of the Rottweilers that attacked a member of the public in Winton on 10 June 2018. The charge is under the Dog Control Act 1996, Section 58 Dogs causing serious injury.

Freedom Camping

34.     In Te Anau Council is managing the shared service this season, and this will be organised shortly.

35.     In the Catlins area, the Department of Conservation (DoC) is managing the service this season. Council will be requesting that the Officer is also appointed as a Dog Ranger, to provide educational services in Curio Bay whilst there for freedom camping. Senior DoC staff have endorsed this proposal.

36.     In Lumsden, it is proposed to advertise for Enforcement Officers shortly.

Dog Control

37.     An education drive is proposed to ensure that dog owners have their dogs on a leash on Riverton’s beaches.  Along with media releases, Dog Control Officers will be issuing infringement fines, and new signage will be investigated.

38.     An educational drive is also proposed to encourage dog owners to pick up dog droppings on Stewart Island, which has been reported to be worsening. This will include the limited distribution of some free dog waste bags. 

Resource Management

39.     A report has been prepared for the Regulatory and Consents Committee recommending that Council resolves to initiate a Plan Change to establish some stronger lighting controls on Stewart Island/Rakiura to support the Dark Skies Sanctuary application by Stewart Island Promotions that is currently being processed by the Dark Skies Association.

40.     One of the key requirements of achieving “sanctuary status” is having a level of lighting controls within the sanctuary area. If endorsed by Council, work will commence immediately with a view to notifying a plan change in early to mid-2019.

41.     Council has prepared a joint submission with Environment Southland, Invercargill City Council and Gore District Council on the draft National Planning Standards which seek to standardise District and Regional plans prepared under the Resource Management Act. The draft standards at this stage seek to establish a consistent layout of plans, standardise definitions and measurements along with outlining a timeframe for delivering the plans in an interactive electronic format.

42.     The number of resource consents being lodged with Council remains steady. There are currently 51 consents in the system (on hold and processing).

Building Solutions

43.     The department has commenced forwarding some building consents for processing to an external contractor, this is intended to maintain customer service and ease pressures on processing staff, relieve pressure points with processing and free up consent processors to assist with inspections when needed. This process is not expected to have any negative impact on the applicant as the current fee structure is based on an hourly rate fee.

44.     The district continues to see somewhat of a two speed economy, with Mararoa Waimea, Winton Wallacetown and Waiau Aparima wards accounting for more than 80% of the consents.

45.     The department have recently relocated a BCO to Te Anau and this is relieving some of the workload pressure in the area and creating greater efficiency with reduced staff travel.

46.     The Department issued 112 consents and received 87 new applications for the month. This is the same number of consent applications as received for August 2017 however it is down on the previous 3 year average. The value of consents issue this month is less than for the 94 issued in August 2017 this is associated with a higher number of heating unit consents for the month.

47.     The number of live consents continue to drop as the number of CCCs issued and refused CCCs exceeds the number of consents issued.

Customer Support


48.     We currently have 5340 active library users in the District as at 1 September 2018 (this is defined as having used their library card in library or online in the last 12 months).

49.     The table below shows the number of individuals checking out items from a branch library each month.

Library Name



Book Bus












Stewart Island



Te Anau









Community and Futures


Representation Review

50.     Appeals and objections on the Council’s representation review closed on 22 August 2018.  Eight were received and these and other documentation regarding the process the Council undertook were sent to the Local Government Commission.  The next stage and timeframe is for the Commission to determine. 

51.     When Council adopted the Final Proposal, one of the resolutions it passed was to recommend to the incoming Council, following the elections in October 2019, that reserves held by community boards and community development area subcommittees be ring-fenced for a period of up to three years when the Revenue and Financing Policy is reviewed.  This is usually done as part of the Long Term Plan.

Community Governance Elected Representative Working Group

52.     At the Community and Policy Committee meeting on 5 September 2018, the Committee agreed to endorse the continuation of the Community Governance Elected Representative Working Group to progress the implementation of the Representation Review. 

53.     The membership will remain the same, but it can decide to invite other members to discuss particular matters.  The role of the working group in this next phase will be to focus, comment on and support the processes identified in the Community Governance Reference Document.  This document (a copy of which was sent to all elected members) set out a new way of working for community boards, following the representation review. 

54.     Matters the group will consider include the introduction of new standing orders, role of members, code of conduct, induction and training for members, reporting to the community, reporting to Council and the relationship with Council and protocols relating to local groups operating in the their local community. 

Strategy and Policy

Corporate Performance Framework

55.     The Corporate Performance Framework aligns Council’s high level direction to its activities and outcomes, and its purpose is to streamline Council planning and reporting functions.

56.     As part of the Corporate Performance Framework, Council will deliver on its legislative requirements – including the Long Term Plan, Annual Plan, Annual Report and Activity Management Plans.

57.     Council will produce an Interim Performance Report, undertaken three times a year – for the four month periods of July-October, November-February and March-June, with the third being produced to inform the Annual Report. The new framework will require Council activity managers to report by exception and provide meaningful explanation of the level of performance compared to what was planned. The Interim Performance Report will utilise Council’s new CAMMS reporting tool for the first report presented in November/December 2018.

58.     Council staff have developed Team Business Plans and Individual Performance Plans. These are an operational level tool to provide staff and elected members with the linkages between Councils overall vision, and align that to the programmes of work, projects and operational requirements to effectively deliver what is promised in the Long Term Plan and Annual Plans.  Alongside the Interim Performance Reports, the Team Business Plans will utilise CAMMS and look to be incorporated into this reporting tool within the next twelve months.

Risk Management Framework

59.     Council continues to identify the need to invest in and develop its risk management processes and approach. In developing the framework the objective is to effectively understand, plan for, and mitigate risk across all levels and activities within the organisation.

60.     A Risk Management Framework project meeting was held on 16 August 2018, to agree the objectives, thresholds and management approaches for the overall framework. Coming up in October is a two day workshop for all Councillor Chairs and Finance and Audit Committee members, the Executive Leadership Team, and all senior managers that will look at developing a profile of significant organisational risks.  This will include education around how Council approaches risk, identifying risk, how it will prioritise these and agree on where responsibility rests for managing the highest priority risks to Council and community.  A draft framework will be developed for consideration following this workshop.

BERL Stage 3 – Working towards positive Southland community futures

61.     Business and Economic Research Limited (BERL) was commissioned by Southland District Council to undertake research to assist with the development of the District’s 2021-2031 Long Term Plan.

62.     The research is based on the idea that the District can passively accept the future that fate will provide for its communities, or work strategically to shape the future it wants to achieve.

63.     The research is in three stages, each of which is designed to answer a specific question:

·       stage 1 asked “where we are now?”  This involved collecting and analysing data to show the state of wellbeing in the District as a whole and in seven defined Communities.  This stage has been completed.

·       stage 2 asked “where we are heading?”  This involved some forecasting to examine how the population and the level of employment in the District and each of the Communities would change, if past trends were left to continue.  This stage has also been completed.

·       the current stage, stage 3, is about asking the question “where we actually want to be?”  Its aim is to define a set of actions that will help to shape positive futures for each of the main Communities in the District.

What Stages 1 and 2 Found

64.     In summary, stage 1 of the research found that, compared to New Zealand as a whole, wellbeing in Southland District was high.  Southland District was better particularly in terms of: employment and unemployment rates; incomes; home ownership; and community connectedness. But it was worse in terms of the qualifications of the workforce and economic diversity.  It also found that, in the recent past, incomes in Southland District had grown more rapidly than nationally. However, the District had attracted relatively few migrants, and home ownership in the District had fallen more rapidly than nationally.

65.     Looking ahead, stage 2 indicated that the District’s working age population is likely to increase slightly over the next ten years, but that it is likely to decrease fractionally during the following decade.  Meanwhile, if the District’s economy continues to grow at the same rate, relative to the national economy, as it has in the recent past, the demand for labour will grow.  This means that, because the District’s unemployment rate is already low, there is a real possibility of large and growing labour shortages.  The likelihood is that, unless the District can attract more migrants, incentivise its young people to stay, and encourage older workers to stay in the labour force, economic growth could be stifled.

Next Steps Stage 3

66.     The specific purpose of stage 3 (the final stage) is to engage with individuals, organisations, and businesses in the District to pinpoint what needs to be done to ensure that the District and its communities maintain and increase their levels of wellbeing.  Ultimately, stage 3 will help to inform the District Council about what it can do itself to increase wellbeing, and how communities, as they strive for overall community wellbeing, can best work with other agencies and Council to achieve the same goal.  This next stage will focus on what needs to be done to ensure that Southland District maintains and builds on its current position as a place where wellbeing is at a high level – a place in which it is good to live and work.  BERL will be speaking directly with many people within the district over the next few months to discuss any matters that affect wellbeing in Southland District.  This will include all activities and services where the Council has a role, either by itself or in partnership and support with other Councils, government agencies and communities. 

67.     These conversations will involve discussions on:

·      do you agree that the summary above provides a reasonable picture of wellbeing in Southland District?

·      if not, what’s wrong/missing?

·      looking at the District, what problems/issues need to be fixed/focused on to improve general wellbeing?

·      similarly, what do you see as the opportunities to promote wellbeing?

·      thinking about the problems/issues you have described, which do you think should have the highest priority, and who/which organisation do you think should take the lead in addressing them?

·      and thinking about the opportunities you have described, which do you think would contribute most to wellbeing, and who/which organisation do you think should take the lead in pursuing them?

68.     Stage 3 will be completed by December 2018.

Community Futures Research and Analysis Work Programme

69.     Council is undertaking research and analysis work to support its decision making and transitioning from 2018 to 2021 in preparation for the Long Term Plan 2021-2031. This work will assist in leading the development of Council’s overall approach to the management of change and preparation for what the future might hold for the district and its communities. The purpose of this work is to develop project plans based on identified work streams that will help identify what is required to deliver priority projects within the district. 

70.     The topics for further research and analysis include:

·      socio-demographic projects (where are we now, where are we heading, and where do we want to be)

·      climate change and implications for Southland District (risks and impacts on the district)

·      Service Delivery Framework – District vs Local service provision and levels of service (an assessment and evaluation of council services and determine the most appropriate level of service to meet community needs in the future)

·      rating affordability planning and implications (to understand income levels in our communities and affordable measures for delivery of activates and services – and implications of decisions on rating affordability for the district)

·      future infrastructure and asset renewal (what and how will council replace significant infrastructure when due for replacement)

·      Land and Water Plan Implications (to understand the implications of compliance standards on the future provision of services to local communities)

·      Community Facility Provision Framework (how, what and when are facilities used and needed)

·      Community Partnerships Assistance and Funding Alignment Approach (multi-agency community partnership opportunities, and council’s funding and grant schemes to support community organisations)

·      technological change impacts on communities and implications for Council

71.     This work will assist Council in delivering on the Long Term Plan 2018-2028 and identify priorities for investing in community future planning.

72.     High level project plans have now been developed for each of the topics above and a report presented to the Community & Policy Committee was received at their 5 September 2018 meeting.  From here, the Project Team will establish prioritisation for the works scheduled, and identify any additional resources that may be required to undertake priority projects.  Regular updates will be presented to the Community and Policy Committee throughout the next 9 months.

Policy and Bylaw Updates

73.     There are a number of Council bylaws and policies currently being reviewed and updated, and a large number of bylaws due for review in the next 12-24 months. 

74.     The Strategy and Policy team have undertaken a high level stocktake of all policies and bylaws currently held by Council and their timeframes and requirements for review.  This work will include analysis of determining the appropriate categories for our policies into Governance and Management, and also discussing those which may be better served as procedures and guidelines. The Strategy and Policy team will be developing a Policy Manual to further define the scope of future policy and guideline provision for Council to operate efficiently and effectively in the future. 

Community Partnership Leaders

The Milford Opportunities Project

75.     A further meeting of the Governance Group took place on 18 September 2018 where those in attendance considered the phase 1 research and analysis that was completed and the recommendations for further work. The next steps will be to:

·      undertake public engagement, starting 17 September 2018 in Te Anau; and

·      seek further funding to undertake the further work for Phases 2 and 3.

Tourism Infrastructure Fund (TIF)

76.     Council has been advised that the applications that were lodged to the last round of the TIF have been approved.  These applications were for;

a.         A $5million contribution towards the cost of upgrading the Te Anau Wastewater scheme

b.         $411,000 for the upgrading of toilets on the Southern Scenic Route at Waikawa, Clifden Bridge, Monkey Island and Te Anau

c.         $300,000 for upgrading of the parking area at the Lake Manapouri Visitor Centre at Pearl Harbour.  

Responsible Camping

77.     The Queenstown Lakes District Council are working to a very tight timeframe to develop a Responsible Camping Strategy that will also be used to assist with managing ‘freedom camping’ this summer. They are aware that there may be implications for other councils and organisations and have invited representatives from DOC, LINZ, NZTA, Southland District Council and Central Otago District Council to be part of their project control group.

Southland Museum Consultation - Our Tale Project

78.     Staff have been involved in a volunteer working group which undertook community consultation across Southland asking residents for their views on the future Southland Museum so that those views would have a voice in the future development plan.

79.     The community consultation took place throughout the month of July 2018.  The volunteer working group was formed to advise and assist with the consultation process.  The group provided specialist expertise in heritage and marketing including social media and additional reach within different communities. Members of the group also assisted at the workshops and with analysing the very large volume of input received.  The completion of the report in August will ensure that the information is able to be fully considered within the larger redevelopment project.

80.     The public were able to give their views by either completing an online or hard copy survey or by attending a workshop.  Many participants expressed a sense of loss and concern at the closure of the museum, but also hope and excitement for what the future museum could be. They also hoped, quite strongly at times, that the redevelopment could be progressed rapidly.

81.     A copy of the report is available from Council’s area offices.

Venture Southland

82.     Venture Southland is facilitating the development of the 2019-2029 Southland Murihiku Destination Strategy which will establish a framework for destination development, destination management and provide a pathway for achieving the goal of $1 billion in tourism revenue, in Southland by 2025.

83.     A Southland Destination Strategy (SDS) Strategic Advisory group has been established to drive the development of the strategy and ensure the process is inclusive.  The group includes representatives from the Southland tourism sector, MBIE, Department of Conservation, Tourism NZ, Air NZ, Iwi and Council.

84.     The strategy will align with local, national and sector initiatives including the regional events strategy, Welcoming Communities pilot programme and the development of the Southland Story. 

85.     An independent consultant will be employed to carry out wider consultation and advance the strategy. Requests for proposals from consultants are currently being sought.  The development and implementation of the strategy will help position Southland as a preferred destination for both domestic and international markets and will set the strategic direction for the region.

86.     The development of a Southland Story was identified as an immediate priority in the Southland Regional Development Strategy Action Plan.  The project, which aims to identify and develop a consistent Southland story that articulates a unified message of past, present and future, is now being facilitated by Venture Southland.

87.     This project is supported by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, aligns with the Southland Murihiku Destination Strategy and will play a fundamental role in achieving the goal of 10,000 more people to Southland by 2025. 

88.     As part of the project a digital platform will be developed for community groups and sectors to discover, share and celebrate the essence of Southland and what the region offers to those who choose to live, visit, invest, work and study here.

89.     An Advisory Board has been established to ensure the project process is inclusive and representative of Southland, act as project champions, assist with selection of consultants and ensure alignment with councils and the wider community. It is anticipated that the project will be completed by the end of 2018 or early 2019.

Services and Assets Group

Group Manager’s Update

90.     As we move further into the financial year, the group is looking to stabilise its activities and focus on programming, resourcing and delivering the necessary works identified through the 2018-2028 Long Term Plan.  In conjunction with this, there is also a focus on finalising the 2019-2020 Annual Plan.

91.     We continue our search for a Community Facilities Team Leader.  There are a number of critical business improvement works streams that need to be delivered within this activity; the lack resource is hampering our ability to deliver on these commitments.

92.     The Programme/Project Management Platform is in the process of finalising the design and workflow.  Internal training programmes and change management processes are also being established, to ensure the system is able to be integrated into the organisation, with minimal impact but maximum outcomes.

93.     The Pyramid Bridge project is progressing with Gore District Council.  Southland District Council staff and Council representation form part of the project governance team; contact and updates are regular.  An updated design estimate has been provided and an external Quantity Surveyor will be reviewing this prior to the two councils having an opportunity to decide which of the two options to pursue (single or double-lane).

94.     The Te Anau Wastewater Discharge Project updated Business Case assessment has now been completed and the internal team is working on producing, the cover reporting for the necessary committee meetings and Council decision.  The committee and Council meetings to consider the updated business case have been scheduled for October 2018, in order to progress the project with a selected discharge method.

95.     Another key activity underway, is the assessment of the two solid waste contracts that are up for renewal in 2019.  Both of these contracts have been subject to review and will now move into extension negotiations, in line with the contract renewal processes stipulated in each of the contracts.

96.     Work is ongoing to provide further clarity and prioritisation of expenditure in association with infrastructure deficits, activities, sub-activities and services.  This work is necessary to adequately inform levels of service discussions and consultation in the lead up to the 2021 Long Term Plan.

97.     Asset information is also an area of focus currently, particularly within the Community Facilities and 3-Waters Activities.  For 3-Waters this involves establishing a Master Data Specification determining what asset information is required, across the hierarchy of assets within each of the three reticulated services activities.  Once established, it will be necessary to work with our contractors to ensure at the point of install or intervention, the appropriate information is captured in a way that is then easily migrated into IPS, our Asset Management software.

98.     For Community Facilities this has involved identifying some priority activities (playgrounds, buildings and toilets) and tapping into support from the New Zealand Recreation Association (NZRA) as the national support body to establish asset information templates for each.  These are currently in draft and being finalised.  Once finalised we will progress to gathering the relevant asset information for these activities.  Concurrently, it will be necessary to review the Asset Management System to support its function.

99.     It is anticipated that this Asset information work will be ongoing for a number of years and will impact all of the activities and services that Council delivers.  This work will be rationalised alongside the Core Systems Project.

100.   The programme/project management software platform approved in July 2018, is in the process of being rolled out and has been established in a testing platform.  We are refining the workflow and business rules/integration associated with the software and will be rolling out and bedding in the change processes necessary to support this new system over the coming months.

Stewart Island Electrical Supply Authority (SIESA) (PowerNet)

101.   Results from the line and cable survey have been received and there are nine poles to be replaced and 93 pillar boxes that need some remedial work.  Planning is in progress to complete the pole replacements, this work will require additional labour from Invercargill and potentially a specialist traffic management service provider.

102.   Trees at 59 Hicks Road have been identified as being a significant risk to the network and a sewage pump station.  The trees are on road reserve and Southland District Council has been informed of the risk.

103.   In addition to the above, work is ongoing to review the longer-term cost sustainability and contract structure associated with SIESA.  This work will ramp up over the coming 12 month period.

Forestry (IFS)

104.   Harvesting of the 2018-19 harvest program has commenced in the Waikaia forest with the previous year’s program now completed.  This has meant nil re-establishment costs of the logging crew, a saving to the Southland District Council.

105.   Production for July was 9,600 tonnes, of the budgeted 26,000 ton annual program.  The crew will be completed at Waikaia in September.

Strategic Water and Waste

Te Anau Wastewater Discharge Project

106.   The business case in support of the preferred Kepler option was presented to Council in December 2016, and while they resolved to progress with detailed design on the pipeline route to Kepler, they also requested that staff undertake further work around a sub-surface disposal option (option 3).  Council staff and consultants are currently developing this work, in conjunction with an external peer reviewer, Ben Stratford.

107.   The roles of the Te Anau Wastewater Discharge Project Committee, Fiordland Sewage Options Group and their representative Peter Riddell have also been reviewed, with Mr Riddell engaged to provide commentary on a conceptual subsurface drip irrigation design and costings.  Once this work is completed and finalised, an updated business case will be provided to Council for decision following submission and review by the Te Anau Wastewater Discharge Project Committee, Services and Assets Committee and the Finance and Audit Committee.  It is anticipated that this work will be completed by early September, after which the updated business case will be presented to the various Committees and Council for consideration.  These meetings have been scheduled for mid-October with a Council meeting planned for 23 October 2018.

108.   In addition to the above, a finalised basis of design for the pipeline to Kepler has been delivered to Council.  Council staff are also working through options around resourcing for the delivery of the various stages of the overall project.

Land and Water Plan Implementation

109.   Under the National Policy Statement for Freshwater Management water quality and quantity are to be maintained and improved, with any over allocation to be phased out over time.  Environment Southland is required to set environmental limits by 2025, with all ‘communities’ required to meet those limits in due course.  They are progressing this work via their proposed Water and Land Plan.

110.   To assist with addressing the impacts of these changes on local authority infrastructure, Environment Southland have formed a Three Waters Officer Working Group.  The objectives of the group are to work through the implications of the new freshwater standards, develop an agreed approach to the re-consenting of local authority infrastructure and ensure that the organisational objectives are aligned.

111.   In total 25 appeals were received by Environment Southland of which Council has identified 10 which it will join as a Section 274 party.  Council has also lodged an appeal to the decision.  The basis of Council’s appeal is largely around the ‘non-complying’ activity status on wastewater discharges to water. 

112.   The latest direction issued from the Environment Court outlines a proposed path, where appeals to objectives will be heard ahead of mediation, by grouped topic on policies and rules.  A pre-hearing conference is scheduled for 12 September. 

Review of Solid Waste Contract Arrangements

113.   The WasteNet Southland Waste Management Group recently notified contractors Bond Contracts and Southland Disability Enterprises Limited of its intention to begin negotiations, around rolling both contracts over.  Both contracts are currently in year six of an initial eight year duration, with ability to roll over for a further eight years. 

114.   Further information has been requested by the Waste Management Group which should allow a recommendation to be made to the Waste Advisory Group as to whether to roll the contracts over, or to go back to the market.  The Waste Advisory Group made a number of decisions around each contract at their meeting on 27 June 2018.  At the meeting it was recommended that Contract 550 be rolled over for a further eight year term.  This recommendation was endorsed by both Invercargill City and Gore District Councils in July.  The recommendation was presented to Finance and Audit Committee on 30 August 2018 and Services and Assets Committee on 5 September 2018, with a final report planned to be presented to Council on 19 September 2018.  Further decisions around Contract 650 are expected by late October 2018.

Strategic Roading

Alternative Coastal Route Seal Extension Project

115.   Work is progressing well to complete the main route with the final preparation work at the Curio Bay end of the route (last 1.1km) nearing completion in anticipation for sealing.  Based on geotechnical assessment and testing the road was realigned away from the slip area and appears to be performing well.

116.   Progress along the Waipapa Route has been progressing well with approximately 90% of the basecourse complete.  This will be held until weather is suitable for sealing.  The legal survey for land purchases is continuing.

117.   It is still expected that the project will be finalised around October / November 2018 when weather condition should be more favourable for the sealing works prior to the peak of the visitor season.

LED Street Light Conversion

118.   Work is well on track to be completed by the end of the calendar year.  Work is currently being undertaken in around the South Eastern area.  The only larger townships remaining to be completed are Riverton, Orepuki and Tuatapere.

Strategic Property

119.   Work has commenced on the 2018/19 projects to be completed this financial year.  Primarily at this phase of the project, is seeking the relevant quotes to complete the work and consider these against budget.

120.   Those under budget will commence once signed off. However, those over budget will either be subject to a scope change or the commencement of the unbudgeted expenditure approval process.

121.   Work has also commenced to identify, plan to commence and complete those improvement processes, as identified in each of the seven activity plans used as the basis of the recently approved Long Term Plan.  In relation to open spaces, toilets and buildings this is creation of spreadsheets to determine components to be identified and assessed.  For community centres this will also be the collection of data regarding each facilities utilisation.

Water Structures

122.   Progress is continuing in relation to the Riverton Wharves licencing and repairs.  Most licence holders are progressing with essential repairs.  As a result of recent communication from staff as well as news articles getting the works completed, there has been an upswing on this work as well as communication with Council on the progress and documentation. Resolution with only one operator remains.



123.   Revenue is slightly below budget for the month mainly due to licence Fee (for wharf) and internal interest not being invoiced but budgeted for. Revenue for the cemetery and the Moturau Gardens was above budget due to higher than anticipated internments and general recoveries being higher than budgeted.

124.   Expenditure was well below budget for the month mainly due to reduced expenses for Refuse Collection and mowing  (off season) plus the full year budget YTD figures are based on a linear (uniform) monthly spend over the year (ie annual budget divided by 12, multiplied by month into financial calendar). These factors combined with seasonal fluctuations in Level of Service required, may result in variances between budget and actual figures.

125.   Capital Expenditure for Library is under budget as the library books have not been purchased and capital budgeted for footpaths has not been used YTD












That the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board:

a)            Receives the report titled “Council Report” dated 2 October 2018.




There are no attachments for this report.  


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

8 October 2018


Financial Report for the year ended 30 June 2018

Record No:             R/18/7/17597

Author:                      Brendan Gray, Community Engineer

Approved by:         Matt Russell, Group Manager Services and Assets


  Decision                                        Recommendation                                  Information




1        These financial results are subject to review by Audit NZ in September, and therefore may change.

Community financial performance for the year

2        The graph above shows what actually happened (Actuals), what the original budget was (Original annual budget) and then what was expected to occur by year end (Reforecast annual budget) for each of the Income, Expenditure, and Capital Expenditure categories.

3        The ‘Reforecast’ totals show the effect of unbudgeted expenditure, projects that have been put on hold or are to be completed in 2018/2019 and/or expected changes to income and operating expenditure over the year.

4        Monthly reports provided to you by the Community Engineers compared the actual YTD against reforecast YTD totals.

5       Any significant variances between the ‘Actual’ and ‘Original budget’ totals are explained below. The details are provided in the attached Annual Report figures.

Significant Variances to the Annual Budget


6       Income is significantly under budget due to:

7       The loss of $95,000 from roading development contributions towards the Peterson Hill footpath project. These funds should have been transferred to the roading department at the time the development was completed.

8       Funds were returned to the Stewart Island Visitor Levy (SIVL) after projects that were funded by SIVL grants were completed under budget.

9       The SIVL funding applications for the two walking track projects and a new footpath project were applied for and granted (new footpath application was only partially granted) in the 2016/2017 year, these funds were transferred to the Stewart Island general reserve at 30 June 2017 and were used to fund these project in the 2017/2018 year.


10     Expenditure is slightly under budget due to a mix of over and under budgets.

11     Library - Electricity is over budget, this is consistent with the previous year. The electricity budget needs to be revised for future years.

12     Operating Costs - Less general projects budget was required than budgeted.

13     Stormwater Drainage - Zero maintenance was required, therefore no costs incurred.

14     Cemetery - New ashes beams project was not required therefore deleted and the new memorial wall project was deferred to the 2018/2019 year. There was also no interment costs incurred.

15     Beautification - Less mowing and maintenance was required than budgeted.

Capital Expenditure

16     The variance in capital was due to projects that were not 100% completed or not undertaken at all during the year. The two significant projects are:

17     The new footpath from Rankin St to Fuschia walkway project. The SIVL application was only partially successful resulting in need to explore other funding methods, this has delayed the progress of this project.

18     The new footpath at Elgin Terrace from Petersons Hill to Excelsior Road. The development contributions funding source is no longer available, other funding options are being explored.

Schedule of Loan Balances


June 2017

Uplifted Loan

Principal Repayments

Balance June 2018

Years Remaining








Project List

19     Community projects that were budgeted to be undertaken in the 2017/2018 year are in the table below.


Project Name

Financial Year

AP Budget

Actual cost


Officer’s Comment


New Ashes Beam





Deleted. Not required


New memorial wall




In progress - Tender

Currently being priced. Will be completed in the new financial year.

Parks & Reserves

Major maintenance of smaller township walking tracks





Track work completed. Seven separate projects on different tracks to make up the $23k.

Parks & Reserves

Mill Creek to Bathing Beach track






Roads & Footpaths

New car parking area on Argyle St





Project has been carried forward into 2018/19. Decision made by CB to progress with the project.

Roads & Footpaths

New footpath - Rankin St to end of Fuschia Walkway & signage

Multi-year 2016/2017



In progress - Construction

First section completed. Awaiting development of large project possibly funded by TIF for a parking area at the top of Golden Bay. This may change the end point for the footpath.

Roads & Footpaths

New footpath - Elgin Terrace from Petersons Hill to Excelsior Rd




In progress - Design

Being priced by contractors on Stewart Island. May be part funded roading as a safety project.

Roads & Footpaths

Replacement of 4 old street lights





Bollards installed. Job complete

Roads & Footpaths

Rakiura Track turn around area




In progress - Investigation

Toilet purchased and is on island. To be installed in new financial year


Financial Considerations

Development and Financial Contributions

20     Contributions are collected to fund community growth projects. The use of these funds are considered by Council staff when projects are in the planning stage. Certain policy and legislative requirements must be met before these contributions can be applied to projects.

21     The total balance of Development and Financial contributions for your community as at 30 June 2018 is in the table below. 








22     Interest has been allocated to the reserve accounts. Interest is calculated on the average balance of the reserves for the year at an interest rate of 3%. The budgeted interest rate was 4.19%.

Stewart Island

Schedule of Reserve Balance





That the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board:

a)            Receives the report titled “Financial Report for the year ended 30 June 2018” dated 4 September 2018.



a             Stewart Island Annual Report figures for the year ended 30 June 2018    


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

08 October 2018







Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

8 October 2018


SIESA - Financial Report to 31 August 2018

Record No:             R/18/10/23103

Author:                      Joanie Nel, Management Accountant

Approved by:         Anne Robson, Chief Financial Officer


  Decision                                        Recommendation                                  Information




SIESA Electricity Operations

1        SIESA Electricity Generation net deficit for the year to date is $57,489, compared to a budgeted year to date surplus of $10,853.

2        Total income for the period to date is $148,431, $27,888 under budget, this was as a result of the following:

-     Lower supply and connection fees against budget ($12,500).  The budget for the period has been phased.  14.30% of the annual electricity income has been estimated to be received for the period.  This % has been based on previous calculations.  Staff will be revisiting these calculations and update where necessary.  We will advise the Committee of the changes and the basis on which it was done. 

-     Interest received budgeted at $7,400 versus a debit of $10,000 because of the reversal of accrued interest at the start of the financial year.  Interest is received on SIESA investments at maturity.  At the 30th of June, an allowance for interest accrued but not yet received was made of $15,503.  This was reversed in full this year but mistakenly a journal for the accrued interest to the 31st of August was missed, this amounted to $19,743.  This means the actual result will be interest received of $9,743 compared to a budget of $7,400.

3        Total operating expenditure for the year is $205,920, $13,452 over budget. The following comments apply:

-     Bad debt expense was $1,822 over budget.  The amount written off was in relation to long standing customer arrears. Council staff are continuing to review outstanding debts which may result in additional debt being written off.

-     Rates expense was $1,598 over budget.  This was due to the rates cost being phased monthly rather than quarterly.  This will be corrected for the next report.

-     Management fees were $41,651 over budget which is due to the increase in fees payable to Powernet.


Project List Status


Project Name

AP Budget

Actual cost


Replace Generator/ Turbine



Investigating being undertaken between the two types of Gensets available, “fixed” (ie mounted in the room) versus “containerised” which is a Genset that can be moved around.

Network upgrade



Minor upgrade, this is for the replacement of the ceramic insulation, only those that are faulty

Replacement of 2 x 20 000L Fuel tanks



Being investigated through supplier, Allied as to the cheapest replacement of the Fuel tanks

Exhaust System renewal/service



On hold, not required

Service SCADA control system



Not yet required

Upgrade SCADA control system



Not yet required

Ringfeed Project stage 4



Ringfeed projects combined to gain efficiencies, this is so that when there is a power fault, other properties are not affected (Stage 4 from Miro Crescent to Elgin Terrace)

Ringfeed Project stage 3



As above, Stage 3 is from Mill Creek to Miro Crescent.

Security upgrade for Power station



Current security cameras are functional.  Upgrade on hold.

Replacement of transformer/switch



To be discussed with Powernet further as this project involves moving gear “outside” the yard toward the inside.

Replace circuit breakers



On hold- current circuit breakers are still functional.


Staff House, Kerbside and WasteNet Operations

4        Overall income for the period to date was $3,910 below budget.  Currently the budget has not been phased.

5        Overall expenditure for the year to date is $10,880 under budget. This is mainly due to actual maintenance needed being less than the monthly budgeted allowance as well as the timing of when costs are incurred.


6        As at 31 August SIESA has $1,620,000 in investments.  These are held in terms varying from one month to nine months at interest rates between 3.33% and 3.55%.








That the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board:

a)            Receives the report titled “SIESA - Financial Report to 31 August 2018” dated 3 October 2018.




There are no attachments for this report.  


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

8 October 2018


Update from the Strategy and Policy Team

Record No:             R/18/9/22458

Author:                      Robyn Rout, Policy Analyst

Approved by:         Rex Capil, Group Manager Community and Futures


  Decision                                        Recommendation                                  Information





1        This report is to inform the Stewart Island Rakiura Community Board about recent developments regarding parking on Elgin Terrace, and to give the Board an update on the review of the Stewart Island/Rakiura Visitor Levy.


2        On 19 September 2018, Council adopted the Roading Bylaw 2008 (Revision 2, 2018) and it came into effect on 28 September 2018.

3        Amendments made to the bylaw relate to the parking restrictions on Elgin Terrace. The bylaw now aligns with the parking restrictions currently marked up on Elgin Terrace, so the parking restrictions displayed can be enforced. Some other minor amendments to wording and legal references were also made to the bylaw.

4        The recently adopted bylaw is included with this report as Attachment A, for the Board’s information. Staff have also included a diagram of the parking restrictions as Attachment B.

5        On 25 September, Council endorsed a statement of proposal, and put the draft Stewart Island Rakiura Visitor Levy Policy and Bylaw out for consultation.

6        The proposal contains a number of key changes, including changes to the amount of the levy, who allocates funds, and where funds are allocated. Consultation on the proposal started on 4 October 2018 and submissions will be accepted until 5pm on 9 November 2018. The Board can submit on the proposal if it wishes to do so.

7        The statement of proposal has been included with this report as Attachment C.

Next Steps

8        Over the next two years Council will be undertaking a thorough review of the roading bylaw. The review is likely to propose a number of changes around the District.

9        Possible changes relating to Stewart Island/Rakiura will be considered as part of this review. Council staff will be seeking input from the Board as part of the preliminary consultation process on the bylaw.

10      In relation to the review of the Stewart Island/Rakiura visitor levy, it is likely that submissions will be presented to Council, and hearings will be held on 29 November 2018. If a large number of people from Stewart Island/Rakiura would like to be heard, staff will consider holding part of the hearing on the Island, or by skype direct to Council.

11      After receiving and hearing submissions, Council will then deliberate on how it would like to proceed. This is likely to be in early 2019.


12      If, after considering community views, Council decides it should increase the levy, the new amount would be consulted on via the Annual Plan, in March 2019.

13      If Council still wants to raise the amount of the levy/revenue after the Annual Plan consultation process, Council would then adopt the draft policy and bylaw. Any increase in the amount of levy/revenue collected would not come into effect until 1 October 2020.




That the Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board:

a)            Receives the report titled “Update from the Strategy and Policy Team” dated 28 September 2018.


b)           Notes that the Roading Bylaw 2008 (Revision 2, 2018) has been adopted, which includes amendments to the parking restrictions on Elgin Terrace.


c)            Notes that the formal consultation process on the draft Stewart Island Rakiura Visitor Levy Policy and the draft Stewart Island Visitor Levy Bylaw 2019 commenced on 4 October 2018 and will run until 9 November 2018.


d)           Notes that the Board can submit on the draft Stewart Island Rakiura Visitor Levy Policy and the draft Stewart Island Visitor Levy Bylaw 2019 if it wishes to do so.




a             Roading Bylaw 2008 (Revision 2, 2018)

b             Diagram of parking restrictions on Elgin Terrace from 28 September 2018

c             Statement of Proposal - Draft Stewart Island/Rakiura Visitor Levy Policy and Bylaw    


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

08 October 2018







Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

08 October 2018



















Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

08 October 2018





Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

08 October 2018


Stewart Island/Rakiura Community Board

08 October 2018